Borked PC provides support services for all of the USA.
Borked PC currently dispatches technicians to these areas in NJ and PA.
Drop Off Location:
52 Broadway, Bangor PA 18013 MAP
SIGNING UP: Signups begin at 6:30 pm. The host will have the signup sheet. You MUST sign up to play. Open mic performers are scheduled on a first- come, first-play basis. If you are coming from a distance, you may contact us about getting on the list ahead of time. The first performance begins at 7:00 p.m., and all performers will be called in the order that they sign up. If you are not present when you are called, you will lose your spot. Due to time constraints, we must limit each performer / performance to 2 songs or 10 minutes, whichever comes first. If you come with a band, you cannot play as a band AND have a member(s) play individually, without prior approval of the host (and enough open timeslots). Should the performer turn out be light, we will rotate through the list again for an additional opportunity to play. We will end music by 10:00pm.
EQUIPMENT: see below for details on what equipment we provide. We strongly urge you use the equipment provided to save time setting up, and to keep the music flowing. You must bring your own instrument & accessories – guitar, bass, strap, drum sticks, picks, etc. We will provide PA with mics, stands, guitar amp, bass amp, keyboard amp, acoustic piano and drums. We do NOT have the capability to mic your instrument, or to plug-in wireless mics. We expect that you’ll either bring a very small amp or plug directly into the PA. If you are plugging directly into the PA (acoustic guitarists, keyboardists), we will have a DI box and instrument cable ready to use.
MUSIC FORMAT: The musical format is open, except NO rap, hip-hop, country, or karaoke. All lyrics must be “PG” rated, as this is a family-friendly place. Therefore material played should be appropriate for ALL ages. We do not have the ability to play backing tracks. No profanity or degrading racial/ethnic speech. Failing to abide by these guidelines will result in being asked to leave the premises even if you are in the middle of your set..
PREPARATION: Be prepared and ready when your time to perform comes – tune up and know what you’re going to play/sing BEFORE walking on stage. We will provide 3 – 5 minutes for you to setup. Any setup you do beyond this time frame is counted as part of your 10 minute timeslot
IMPORTANT: Be courteous, supportive, and respectful of other performers. If you need to warm up or practice, then do it outside. Be a good audience member. If you want others to sit and listen for you, then you should do the same. We also ask that you stay after you have finished, and support those playing after you.
· Featured artists are scheduled ahead of time and will have 1 hour to perform, from 8-9 p.m.
· We expect that your set will be mostly, if not all, originals.
· Load-in/setup/soundcheck is from 6-7 p.m.
· Load-out is at the end of the evening, after the last performer, about 10 p.m.
· You may display merchandise available for sale
· To be considered as a Featured Artist, see below.
HOW TO BE A FEATURED ARTIST
· Must have a sample of your professionally recorded, original music available to submit
· Submit CD (audio, or with MP3s), contact information (phone & email), and/or press kit to :
The CAFE' at OWC
ATTN: FA (insert style)
Bangor, PA 18013
· In ATTN line, write STYLE of music you play (e.g. Rock, Pop, CCM, acoustic funk, etc)
· Somewhere in the package, please tell us how or where you heard about this event
· Make sure all your contact information is written on the CD, as sometimes the CD gets separated from the case.
· We will contact you if we decide to invite you to be a featured performer
· You may follow-up with us 1 month after submitting your information to check on status by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your contact information to help us find your material.
· If you are able, we strongly suggest that you come by and perform during the open-mic portion of the evening so we get to meet and hear you. If you make a good impression, it will improve your chances of being invited back as a Featured Performer.
· Understand that we will not be able to, nor may want to, schedule every artist or band that submits a CD for consideration. First, there are just not enough nights for everyone to play. Second, we seek to present talented artists to our audience, so there are a number of factors used by our staff when reviewing each submission. Some of those factors are:
o Musical style – we try to mix it up each month, and not over-book one style over another
o Quality of recording – if you’re serious about making music, then make an investment in your music and get it professionally recorded. Using your iPhone to record will not represent your music well
o Quality of songs and songwriting
o Musical appeal – to those that attend our event
o Professionalism of the artist – you only get one chance to make a first impression, so make sure your submission package represents you well
· All decisions of the staff at OWC are final
· We understand that not everyone will agree with our decisions. But if you are not asked to be a Featured Artist, it is not the end of the world. Please don’t take it personal. Everyone gets turned down at some point. And it does NOT mean you shouldn't be making music or releasing music or playing out. And it certainly does NOT mean we did not like your music. It just means that at this time your music doesn’t fit our needs. If you disagree, then prove us wrong by coming down to play our open-mic. You may change our minds.
· Note that CDs and materials submitted will not be returned and become the property of The Cafe at OWC.
STAGE EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE
We supply a “backline” that is modest but effective. The stage is set with most equipment ready-to-go for your performance. We understand many of you have a much better drum set and/or amps, but this is about keeping the music flowing. Having everything ready on stage facilities this.
Main PA System: we provide a PA system sufficient to fill the room. It can carry all singers and players, so big amps on stage are not needed. Please leave your stacks at home.
Monitors: we provide floor wedges for your use. Hearing yourself on stage is usually no problem.
MICS: we have Audix OM2’s for your use. If you have a special mic you absolutely must use, then you may bring it. But it must plug directly into the XLR mic cables available. No wireless systems will be allowed.
guitarists (electric): we provide a basic guitar amp (make & model TBD). You may also bring your own amp, but it must be small. No ‘stacks’ allowed. You can supply a second amp if you have more than one guitarist. You may bring your pedal(s) or pedalboard. We recommend you use our house guitar amp, but you may bring a small amp if you absolutely need your sound.
guitarists (acoustic): we expect to plug you directly into the PA, to save setup time and to get a good mix. If you use a small acoustic amp, you are welcome to bring that instead.
Keyboardists: you can bring a keyboard, and we will run it direct into the PA. We DO NOT have a keyboard available – so bring your own.
Bass: we provide a Hartke 15” cabinet with a Fender head for your use.
PIANO: we provide an acoustic piano for your use.
Drums: We provide a basic acoustic kit for your use, with drum throne. We ask that you bring your own sticks. You may also bring your own kick pedal and/or snare if you want. However, we do not have time for you to setup your own kit or cymbals or individual drums, so please leave those at home.
There is no cost to participate or attend this evening.
FOOD & BEVERAGES
The usual “coffee house” fare (e.g. Dessert items, soda, tea, coffee, snacks, etc) are available for purchase. We also have CDs from local artists available for purchase. All profits from the evening will be used to help defray costs and support local community needs.
· NO alcohol, drugs, or profanity anywhere inside or outside the building, including the parking lot. You will be asked to leave.
· NO smoking inside the building. If you must smoke, please go outside away from the front door. Please respect our neighbors by putting trash in the available containers.